[time-nuts] Pendulums & Atomic Clocks & Gravity

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sun May 27 21:17:32 UTC 2007

Ulrich,

Just returned from Mannheim, where the gravitational force on
my body increased by ten pounds, due to the fine food.

A NASA film explains the motion of satellites in the following way:

You have a cannon aimed at 45 degrees into the sky, for maximum
altitude. You fire the cannon, but the projectile falls back to Earth.
So you increase the amount of gunpowder (propellant) which causes the
projectile to fall to the Earth farther away. You keep increasing the
propellant, and finally the projectile falls around the Earth in a
circular path.

The interesting thing is that the mass of the projectile does not
affect the height of the orbit. Only the circular velocity determines
the orbital altitude. When an astronaut "drops" a bolt from an
assembly, it does not change orbital altitude because its mass is
much smaller than the space station's mass. Instead, it maintains the
same altitude unless it was given some small change in velocity.

Obviously, the mass and gravity are still present and F=Ma, for all
practical purposes. What happens is that the acceleration 'a' goes to
zero because it is countered by a rotational acceleration, defined by
the square of the rotational velocity times the distance between the
centers of gravity of the Earth and the satellite.

Set the rotational acceleration equal to gravitational acceleration,
and you have an equation that determines the distance as a function
of rotational velocity and the (constant) gravitational force.

The fact that some people call the rotational acceleration 'fictitious'
does not alter the results of the equation.

Sorry, I don't accept the idea that the Earth and the Moon repel each
other with only gravitational forces.

Regards,
Bill Hawkins