[time-nuts] OT: AC voltage standard

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 6 21:31:26 UTC 2007

> Anyone know of a simple way of producing an AC voltage standard
> suitable for general workshop use without reference to another one?
> About one percent would be good enough, wave shape and frequency
> accuracy not important (wash my mouth out). I have a Weston Cell for
> DC voltage calibration, a Rb one for frequency but nothing for AC
> volts. Perhaps there is a chip out there that clocks between accurate
> limits that I could use as a source?

Modern CMOS drivers are very close to rail-rail for low loads.  So for
quick/dirty, I'd just look at a handy clock signal and assume it goes from
ground to the power supply.

Be sure you don't look at one with a terminator, aka heavy load.  Series
termination would be OK.

TI says for their HC04 at 4.5 V Vcc and 20 uA load, 25 C:
  Min 4.4, typ 4.499

I like the DAC suggestion.