[time-nuts] Fury Interface Board: 5MHz needed?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 8 17:42:54 UTC 2007

> An illustration of what I meant would be what happens when someone
> opens the door to the lab where the GPSDO is located. The room
> temperature may change by a few degrees over a few minutes time,
> causing the oven to kick in (or out). That kind of change is too fast
> for the GPS to compensate for, and the increased (or decreased) oven
> current will drive a frequency change.

What's the typical time constant for a GPSDO?  Is a single hard-wired number
appropriate or should the software adapt as conditions change?

What's the cycle time of a typical bang-bang air conditioner cooling a room
full of computers?

Here is one data point.
  http://www.ijs.si/time/temp-compensation/
The graph about 1/3 of way down looks like about an hour.

It's a fun read if you like NTP.