[time-nuts] 53131A or 5370B

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 9 19:15:55 UTC 2007

From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 53131A or 5370B
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:57:17 EST

> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>

> In a message dated 11/9/2007 07:50:26 Pacific Standard Time,
> j-shank at comcast.net writes:
>
> >Here  is the question, I only have room for one counter, should it be a
> 5370B or a  53131A?  Which >is more useful to measuring frequency  variations?
>
> >Jeff
>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> In my opinion the 5370B is better for phase offset measurements, and  the
> 53131A better for frequency measurements.
>
> The 5370B is not good at all for direct frequency measurements.
>
> The 53131A is not that good for phase measurements.

I agree with Said here. The problem with the 5370B is really in the processing
it does, not the hardware, which is excelent for its time.

I would use the 5370B for more static setups doing longer logging sessions, but
for most bench-measures the 53131A is probably more versatile.

Personally I use my 5335A for versatile bench-counter.

Cheers,
Magnus