[time-nuts] Datum 9390-6000 Problem

Mitchell Janoff majanoff at verizon.net
Sat Nov 10 14:59:10 UTC 2007

Greetings all. I have a Datum 9390-6000 with the Rubidium frequency standard
inside that has been working fine for the past year or so. It requires a
high gain antenna and I'm using a Symmetricom 58532A L1 antenna. With this
antenna I get a "System Check OK" message on the screen. With any other of
my GPS antennas I get a "low signal level" message. I have six other GPS
units operating with various antennas that all work fine. While I don't get
any error messages on the 9390, the unit no longer locks onto the GPS. If I
look at the satellites, the display shows zero for the signal strengths for
each satellite that is trying to track.

I'm wondering if this is an antenna problem vs. a problem with the 9390 and
is there someway to tell. I don't see anyway to do advanced diagnostics on
this unit, and since the GPS receiver is a propriety unit, I can't
substitute it for another model.

Is there a recommended antenna that works best with this unit? Since the
repair on the 9390 is quite expensive, I'm wondering if there is another way
around this, possibly trying a better antenna.

Thanks for your help.

Mitch.