[time-nuts] Administrivia: The Spam Button

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 23:25:50 UTC 2007

In a message dated 10/11/2007 23:04:14 GMT Standard Time, jra at febo.com
writes:

I just  received a bad-boy message from AOL relating to the "Mini
Magnetic Sensor"  email that was posted to the list this afternoon.

These messages  usually result from an AOL subscriber hitting the "Spam"
button on a  message, often because they want to unsubscribe from the
list but don't  know how.

Unfortunately, AOL keeps track of the number of times that  happens, and
if it's too often, it is blacklisted -- which means that NO  address from
that system can be sent to ANY AOL subscriber.  Getting  cleared from the
blacklist is a very painful process (I've had to do  it...).

So, please, if you no longer want to receive time-nuts  postings, or if
you don't like a posting, please unsubscribe using the  instructions at
the bottom of every list message; if all else fails, please  contact me.
But please DON'T hit the "Spam"  button!

Thanks John

It wasn't me, but you've just explained something that's been  bugging me for
a while.

I lost access to my Teknet manual download account a while back,  the
explanation being that AOL had blocked them from sending to any AOL  user.
When they complained, AOL refused to deal with them because they weren't an
AOL client, that's what Teknet told me anyway, so Teknet  passed it back to
their AOL users and made it our problem.
The AOL instruction to me, when I tried to query it, was to ask the sender
to contact them to resolve the problem, which smells strongly of a very lost
cause:-(

The Teknet free download option requires the user to agree to accept
mailshots for, I think, a two year period.
I can see that some might end up dumping the mailshots as spam if they  no
longer want them, and can understand now why AOL have blocked all Teknet  emails.

I still don't have access to Teknet, but value my Time-Nuts link far  more,
so certainly hope your message gets through.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR