[time-nuts] time-nuts: DATUM receiver indication...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 11 16:46:09 UTC 2007

Mitch,

I don't know for sure about other receivers but I have two Datums at
my location.  The "Low Signal Level" indication can mean two
things.  One, low level signal or, two, the antenna is not drawing
the correct amount of current, either too high or too low, for the
intended preamplifier within the antenna.

It would've made more sense if a current drain issue would've
displayed, "Check Antenna".

Burt, K6OQK

At 03:35 PM 11/10/2007, you wrote:
>Mitchell Janoff wrote:
> > Greetings all. I have a Datum 9390-6000 with the Rubidium
> frequency standard
> > inside that has been working fine for the past year or so. It requires a
> > high gain antenna and I'm using a Symmetricom 58532A L1 antenna. With this
> > antenna I get a "System Check OK" message on the screen. With any other of
> > my GPS antennas I get a "low signal level" message. I have six other GPS
> > units operating with various antennas that all work fine. While I don't get
> > any error messages on the 9390, the unit no longer locks onto the GPS. If I
> > look at the satellites, the display shows zero for the signal strengths for
> > each satellite that is trying to track.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is an antenna problem vs. a problem with the 9390 and
> > is there someway to tell. I don't see anyway to do advanced diagnostics on
> > this unit, and since the GPS receiver is a propriety unit, I can't
> > substitute it for another model.
> >
> > Is there a recommended antenna that works best with this unit? Since the
> > repair on the 9390 is quite expensive, I'm wondering if there is
> another way
> > around this, possibly trying a better antenna.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Mitch.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services