[time-nuts] FE-5860A

nnovotney at cinci.rr.com nnovotney at cinci.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 03:58:53 UTC 2007

Hello:

My different types of equipment (scope, freq cntr, spec analyzer, etc) never seem to be right on the money, so I decided to run them all off a commnon exact 10MHz rubidium source.

I got an FE-5680A  (was on a chopped off ckt board-whcih is apparently part of some motorola system pcb)..I hooked pin 1 to +15V & pins 2 to gns ...but nothing came out any of the other pins?!??  Where is the output?  Do I need another cxonnection?  I read you might need to apply +5v, but  don't want to try unless I know what I'm doing.  How do you determine what option your unit has?  It looks like about 60 options are possible!!  By the way, with my spec analyzer probe nearby I am sniffing the 6.834xx GHz signal-so the Rb is in there doing its thing.

As a second note, as I read around here, it seems (to my understanding) that the Rb osc is not exact--that in fact it needs calibrated!!  Well, I dont't want to cal it --I bought this "atomic clock"  to let me cal all of my various xtal oscilators.  How on earth shall I cal this thing?  If I don't cal, how far off is it?  Can i count on 9 digits of accuracy with "no cal"
thanks for your hints & direction....I think I'll enjoy this group & hope to make some contibutions once I get going.