[time-nuts] LORAN-C antenna

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Tue Nov 13 15:50:18 UTC 2007

Didier Juges wrote:

>Is it possible to build a Loran antenna?

Yes.

For my Austron 2100 I built an active ferrite rod antenna which works
very well.  Much better than an active rod since by using the magnetic
field component, it rejects a lot of the local interference (tv
timebases and computer monitors etc.,) that the rod picks up.   I am
several hundred miles from my nearest Loran station however, so the
signal is not that strong...

I filled a ferrite rod (from an old BC receiver) with a bifilar winding
of wire wrap wire, parallel C to resonate at 100 kHz and the center tap
grounded.  This feeds the gates of a two FET push pull amp, the output
of which is transformed into a medium / low impedance to feed the Rx.
12 Volts DC power is multiplexed onto the coax feed line.  As is, it was
too selective, but a 10 k Ohm R across the antenna rod seems to be
enough damping for it to work well.

I also use a similar one for WWVB, but here you need all the selectivity
you can get and it is in fact so selective that some temperature
compensation was necessary.

Not a major project, and it fits neatly into some bits of plastic
plumbing, a lot smaller than any wire loop would be.

Dan
ac6ao