[time-nuts] paralleling regulator redux

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Nov 14 01:43:46 UTC 2007

It's been my experience that most low-dropout regulators are worse than the
older generation high-dropout, not only for noise but also for ripple and
transients rejection, probably because of the unfavorable topology of a
power PNP transistor as the pass element. It has low gain and low FT, and
yet the circuit is naturaly unstable unless particular decoupling caps are
used, so compromises in the loop response have to be made, resulting in high
noise. It's possible the reference internally is quiet, but the regulator
itself is bad.

I guess for most applications it's OK, so unless pressed by the market, the
vendors will do what sells.

Didier