[time-nuts] Loran-C Receivers

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Nov 15 04:09:32 UTC 2007

> Hello The Net:
>
> Are there more modern Loran-C receivers than the Austron 2100 series ?
>
> Purpose is for frequency comparison to E13 or better and timing to UTC.
>
> Stan, W1LE   FN41sr   Cape Cod

There are also vintage Austron 2000 model(s).
But the 2100-series is a better buy if you can find them.

Modern Loran-C timing receivers can be found here (Locus):
http://www.locusinc.com/cssync.html

and also here (Stanford Research):
http://www.thinksrs.com/products/FS700.htm

For recent performance plots on the FS 700, see:
http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/fs700/

It's pretty much on par with a medium GPSDO. You can get
down to 1e-13 average performance in a few days. I think
better performance could be had with a Loran-C/Rb solution
(allowing much longer time constant) but all the receivers I've
tested so far are quartz.

Note that for many time & frequency applications, there are
a number of advantages of Loran-C over GPS, or better yet,
Loran-C plus GPS.

/tvb