[time-nuts] Wireless Routers and NTP

NE8S ne8s at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 28 17:17:02 UTC 2007

As for the Belkin family of routers, I for one, would not put much faith in them. Actually, I refrain from purchasing anything coming from Belkin, regardless of its function.

I aborted the use of my Belkin FSD5231-4, 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router, Firmware Version 1103 many months ago. Although it was not a Wireless Router, I still had many problems with it including configuration with static IP addresses, continuous dropouts, and remedial configuration requirements for NTP utilization. I am so glad to have replaced it.

I now utilize the Netopia Model 3347-02-1002 Wireless and wired (both) ADSL Router. I utilize static IP addresses and my high speed provider is AT&T. I have not attempted to configure the system for NTP utilization, but have spoke with Netopia tech support and from our dialogue, it can be configured for such NTP activity and virtually has no limitations on configurability. For 3 months now, I have had no issues with Netopia and it performs very well. Will advise when the NTP gets factored in.

I also have the CISCO Series 837 ADSL wired Router but have not had the time to set it up as of yet. I am told by several colleagues that there are virutally no limitations with the CISCO line of routers, wireless or otherwise.

Hope this helps, Ron K. or anyone else grappling with the ADSL wired or wireless routers.

G.W. "Doc" Ko
CsUTC Observatory