[time-nuts] Chronometer contest sponsored by IEEE Spectrum

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Nov 29 18:29:12 UTC 2007

In message: <Pine.GSO.4.31.0711291015460.20567-100000 at jeffrey150.pawlan.com>
            Jeffrey Pawlan <jpawlan at pawlan.com> writes:
:
: On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, David Forbes wrote:
: >
: > It might be more fun to require that an OCXO be designed and built by
: > the DIY-er out of commercially available crystals and resistors. That
: > way, it's an engineering challenge instead of a procurement
: > challenge, since IEEE is about engineering.
: > --
:
:
: I second David's suggestion!   The only REAL challenge would be to design the
: circuitry. Otherwise this is just a "rack & stack" project which is not
: engineering.

If it wasn't for the $100 price point, I have exactly this in my
office right now: Our product displays the time on 7-segment LEDs.
However, our cost is somewhat more than $100 since we have an OCXO,
a TCXO, a GPS receiver, an ARM and an FPGA plus lots of sheet metal
and slots in the back for distribution modules.

Warner