[time-nuts] Of rubidium life and piggy-bank anemia....

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Nov 29 23:10:14 UTC 2007

Hi Mike --

Most modern Rbs, and particularly the small telecom ones (which is what
most of the <$500 ones are) have a quite long lamp life; I haven't heard
of any of them failing because of lamp burnout.

However, note that those Rbs tend to have only modest short term
stability and phase noise.  In fact, the Tbolt is likely to be
significantly better in those regards than the Rb.  So swapping out the
OCXO for an Rb may not be the best move.

But on the other hand, having a free-running Rb that you calibrate
against the Tbolt (or some other reference) every so often isn't a bad
idea; it gives you a source that's independent of external factors.

John
----