[time-nuts] More details on IEEE Spectrum clock competition

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Fri Nov 30 17:37:08 UTC 2007

Philip,

I think this sounds pretty reasonable, here's my 2-cents worth.

I think calibration should be part of delivering the clock.  You can
imagine a designer developing elaborate models for the timebase and you
don't want to stifle creativity here.  I think calibration is part of
the delivered clock and not done by the judges.  The clock should be
settable by a layperson, but I think you should let people go wild
calibrating the clock.

The two big enemies the designer fights will likely be environmental and
aging.  I think you've covered a good environmental specification, but
aging should be incorporated into the contest.  For example, a temp
compensated xtal oscillator my be calibrated to well less than 0.1 ppm
and look really fantastic for a few days, but the crystal might age 2-3
ppm over the first year of operation.

I imagine running the contest over a few months.  At some submission
date the clocks are collected at your office, set to the current time,
and left to run for a few months (or however much time you have).  At
the end of 3-months all of the clocks are measured and a winner is
picked.   Maybe you can publish intermediate results for dramatic effect.

Tom Van Baak has a nice story on his website about how he got interested
in precision timing, http://www.leapsecond.com/.  He wanted a clock that
would be accurate to better than 1-second over a year so that he could
appreciate and adjust the clock during a leapsecond.  I don't know how,
but I think that it might be possible to build a clock for this contest
that meets that criteria.  If so, I think the entries need a feature for
measuring accuracy more precisely.  I suggest requiring that the entires
have a BNC connector that outputs a TTL level pulse once per second, the
rising edge of the signal marks the beginning of a second (this is
usually just called a PPS signal).  The accuracy of the clock can be
done visually to 1s resolution, finer measurement can be done with
comparison against PPS from a GPS receiver.

jeff