[time-nuts] E1938

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Oct 2 21:25:00 UTC 2007

No oscillators are in the non aging category.  However, the E1938
and 10811 are in the RANDOM aging category.  As I previously said,
the direction of the aging is random.  Now you have brought up the
so called disciplined oscillator concept.  This concept admits that
the direction and slope of aging is random between oscillators,
but maintains that an individual oscillator has a known direction
and slope that can be taken out.  This is an extension of the
initial fallacy.  Oscillators can initially age in one direction
for a while and then change directions.  Also, the slope may be
fairly constant, allowing disciplining. or it may gradually decrease.
However, it is also a fallacy to think that the aging will
asymptotically approach zero if you wait long enough.  There are
now extremely old 10811's, and you will find that their aging
is nothing special.

The discipling concept with frequent GPS updates only assumes that
aging characteristics won't change abruptly.  That is the one
assumption that is probably fairly safe.  However, all oscillators
exhibit frequency jumps, that will only be made up after the
time constant of the GPS loop has time to track them out.

When reading papers on discipled oscillators, pay no attention
to anecdotal data.  The only data that counts is on large numbers
of oscillators over large spans of time.

Rick