[time-nuts] HP 523B frequency counter & Sputnik

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Oct 4 18:06:30 UTC 2007

Hi Tom:

It's interesting to tracing the path from the doppler data which was used to
determine the slant range between he satellite and the receiver antenna.  The
data on your web page doesn't seem to show the actual doppler shift numbers.
Do you have that data?

Some cleaver thinking then leads to the idea that you can determine were you
are if you know the satellite orbital parameters.  That's what they did at John
Hopkins University thus starting the Transit program for Polaris subs.
http://sd-www.jhuapl.edu/Transit/index.html

But Transit required atomic clocks so in the next generation sattlite nav
system the atomic clocks were designed out and we ended up with GPS.  I think
it's more than fair to say sputnik is the grandfather of GPS.

more at:  http://www.prc68.com/I/electron.shtml#Sputnik

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com