[time-nuts] OT: Test for NI IEEE-488 interface

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sat Oct 6 12:22:34 UTC 2007

Gentlemen,

I know this is a bit OT but otherwise I also know that some of you are
well acquainted to IEEE-488 data acqusition:

Suppose I can test whether the National Instruments DLL for their range
of IEEE-488 interfaces is available on a Windows based system. Suppose
also that I can load the DLL dynamically and find out whether all the
expected function names are really exported by the DLL, i.e. if an
IEEE-488 interface WERE really connected to the pc I would be in full
control of it.

What actions (DLL-calls) would you suggest for a good test of the
presence of an IEEE-488 interface and it's basic functionality? The test
should NOT involve any communication to instruments on the bus. Its just
to find out whether an interface is available and if it can be expected
to be in working condition.

Best regards and TIA

Ulrich Bangert
www.ulrich-bangert.de