[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Oct 11 18:52:15 UTC 2007

At HP, in the 90's, we did a lot of brainstorming about vacuum ovens.
This never seemed to make sense to us.  If you actually
achieve high amounts of thermal resistance, then you can't
get the heat out of the oven.  And if you don't, why bother
with a vacuum.  Also, a vacuum only helps if you do everything
else you need to do to make a true Dewar (thermos bottle), like
having mirrored surfaces, etc.  Finally, having a vacuum means
that nothing that outgasses can be used in the oscillator.
Maybe Vectron has figured out something we didn't think of or
has sufficiently difference constraints that a vacuum makes
sense for them.

Rick Karlquist N6RK