[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 06:31:03 UTC 2007

In a message dated 10/14/2007 23:07:04 Pacific Daylight Time,
namichie at gmail.com writes:

>Thermal transients propagate into the ground on a different  law,
>Gauss' Error Function.
>If the ground is cleared of  trees, one hundred years later at a depth
>of 100 metres  or
>so there will be a record of the change in average soil  temperature.
>The Cave was Saltpetre Cave in Carter Caves  Park.
>Just thought you might like to know.....
>Neville  Michie

Hi Neville,

your post made me remember stuff from my University days!

Gauss' Error Function is also used to calculate diffusion depth of
semiconductors.

HP/Agilent makes a semiconductor tester to measure this depth.

One interesting fact I remember from this: the form of the diffusion  profile
depends on the speed (time) of the actual diffusion process into the  bulk
material.

I bet there is a nice analog to temperature transients progressing through
soil.

I love it when micro and macro effects show mathematical  similarities.

bye,
Said