[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 15 16:49:31 UTC 2007

> The resonator inversion temperature occurs at 70-80 degrees Celsius,
> depending on the cut angles.

Is there something magic about quartz that has a turnover in the region that
just happens to be handy for OCXOs?  Or is it the other way around: people
chose the cut angle to get a temperature that works well for ovens?

Could I cut a crystal with a temperature at (say) 0C or something handy for
Peltiers?