[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

Don Collie donmer at woosh.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 01:31:14 UTC 2007

Hi Hal,
    I was thinking of attaching a temparature sensor [AKA Star Treck] to the
cold side of a Peltier [what`s the other type? Are they available/better?]
pile. and driving the pile from the output of some sort of servo loop to
maintain a temparature of ,say , 0 Degree C.
     If you wanted a double oven, you could heatsink a small oven,
containing the crystal, the oscillator, and buffer[s] to this, and use a
second servo loop to raise the temparature of this to 25 Degrees C working
against the Peltier. In this way, you could maintain the crystal, and
circuitry at 25 Deg C., over an ambient temparature of 0 to ,say 70 Deg C.
    Yes, you can cut a crystal to have an inversion temp at 25Deg C. [well
certainly with an AT cut - I`m not sure about the SC cut.]