[time-nuts] Improving the stability of crystal oscillators

John Franke jmfranke at cox.net
Tue Oct 16 02:30:02 UTC 2007

This is something I have thought about but never did any experimentation.
With the low cost and increased availability of thermoelectric coolers, I am
interested in pursuing this concept.  The unfortunate thing is that the
crystals are ground for 25C or the higher turnover temperature point.  If
someone has a crystal that has drifted, it may be a good candidate for
experimentation.  Another thought would be to let the crystal operate at its
natural frequency, divide it down to 1 or ten Hz and then phase lock a more
convenient crystal frequency to the low pulse rate.  The idea is to save an
otherwise aged and well performing crystal.

John  WA4WDL