[time-nuts] Digital Scopes - suggestions

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Oct 24 11:51:24 UTC 2007

Hal Murray said the following on 10/24/2007 03:47 AM:
> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>

> I'm looking for a digital scope.  Is there some obvious model(s) that I
> should keep an eye out for?
>
> I don't >need< one, so I'm willing to wait and I'm flexible on parameters.
>
> Mostly what I'm looking for is:
>   reasonable (hobby) cost
>   standard digital stuff: bright picture from a single event
>   screen capture (GPIB or RS-232)
>
> I expect there is something in the 100 MHz range.  I probably don't want to
> pay for a GHz front end, but I might if I got a good deal.

I have a Tek TDS-2012 that I like a lot.  Dual channel, 100 MHz and 1
Gsample, color LCD, very small and light.  Comms (RS-232, printer, GPIB)
is an optional module.  Base price is something around $1200 new, I
think.  I think they've been around long enough that there should be
some used ones out there somewhere.

There are also several other models in the same series that vary in
number of channels, speed, and monochrome versus color display.

I still use an analog scope (Tek 2465B) for serious RF work, but the
digital can't be beat for looking at PPS and general bench use.

(My theory -- Tektronix for scopes, HP for everything else.)

John