[time-nuts] M$-Vi$ta-compliant PC RTC clock card?

Maggie Leber k3xs at arrl.net
Thu Sep 20 15:01:52 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, James Maynard <james.h.maynard at usa.net> wrote:

> (I know that some on this list will say, "You nitwit, you should be another OS
> than M$ Vista." Such replies will not be helpful to me.)

Sadly, if you wish to have direct control of what your computer does,
you can't run Vista.

Especially if you want to control things that are important to media
copy protection schemes (euphemistically referred to as "digital
rights management"); the ability for a company to rent you content
that can be disabled on remote command or after the expiration of a
time interval. This content can include software...of keen interest to
a company like MSFT that has Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) as their
planned future business model.

Obviously if you have direct control of your computer's real time
clock, you can hack any timed expiration scheme. This is one reason
MSFT is so antsy about virtualization, too.

"To risk sloganeering, I say you need to hold the keys to your own
computer." --Whitfield Diffie

"You are essentially renting out part of your PC to people you may not
trust." -- Ron Rivest

--
Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP, SCWCD
 http://voicenet.com/~maggie