[time-nuts] Setting Rubidium to match GPS source

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Fri Sep 28 08:24:03 UTC 2007

CHazlitt wrote:
> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>

> Hello again,
>
> Another question, has anyone here used an HP 3575A Gain Phase Meter (1Hz -
> 13MHz) to set their Rubidium to match the GPS sourced 10 MHz clock? Would
> that method be more accurate to line the Rubidium up than using a 12 digit
> frequency counter clocked off of the GPS?
>

> Signed, time newbie
>
> Chris KL7FB

I think I may have lost parts of this discussion. Apologies  if I missed
anything important and obvious.

How much time do you have to make the adjustment?

Is there anything wrong with a simple oscilloscope and watching the
relative movement of the zero crossing of the signals over a period of
time. Seems simple to me. I think after you make an adjustment it may
take a while for the new frequency to settle. Watching it on the scope
should give a real-world idea if there is ant new faster drift after the
change.

This is what I would do. Is there anything wrong with my KISS approach
to this sync tuning? (if you know which source to trust.)