[time-nuts] Basic regenerative-divider questions

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sat Sep 29 01:02:28 UTC 2007

Submitted for general discussion: I have a need to divide a low-noise 80-MHz
clock by two, twice, to obtain 40 MHz and 20 MHz outputs, and my current
thinking is that the quietest way to do this is with a pair of cascaded
regenerative dividers.  Does anyone have any 'favorite' papers or
application notes on regenerative divider design/construction?

In particular, what considerations go into determining the bandwidth of the
post-mixer filter, and how important is the phase-shift network often seen
in the feedback path?  My overriding concern here is phase-noise
performance.

-- john, KE5FX