[time-nuts] Adding prescaler to HP 5334B

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Apr 1 20:36:48 UTC 2008

Hi Bruce:

One way to do that is pair up a long lifetime PIN and a schottky of polarities
such that the Schottky current forward biases the PIN.  DC block the input and
output.  I made microwave limiters this way many decades ago.

Re: Schottky Diodes
There are two flavors.  A pure Schottky diode is made up of a single metal
semiconductor junction.  These typically have reverse breakdown voltages in the
3 to 5 volt area.  If a "Schottky" diode has a higher Vbr then it's what's
called a "Guard Ring" type.  These have a P/N junction surrounding the schottky
junction that increases the reverse breakdown and another P/N junction to
isolate the two forward curves.  Sometimes these are made improperly where the
second PN junction gets shorted and then there's a "double break" in the
forward I-V curve and charge storage (slow operation) is associated with them.

When HP first introduced microwave Schottky diodes they put a reverse recovery
time spec on them when in fact it was zero.

For more on Microwave Diodes see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/Diodes.html

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke