[time-nuts] Racal-Dana 1992 switches

Tom Duckworth tomduck at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 20:03:00 UTC 2008

Bill,

I have attached a PDF of two methods we used at XL Microwave for adjusting
the internal reference oscillators in our microwave counters. The second
method (digital) was used to calibrate the internal reference time base of a
70 GHz microwave counter with an accuracy of parts in E-11.

This digital method could be used to compare two GPSDOs, one to the other,
and would probably yield greater resolution than trying to use a phase
measurement on a counter due to jitter, internal noise, and stability issues
in the count chain. This method proved to be fast, simple, stable, and
superior to other methods we tried.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom Duckworth