[time-nuts] GOES time service

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Wed Apr 9 16:27:04 UTC 2008

"michael taylor" <mctylr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course given the low cost of replacing GOES time receivers with
> easily available off-the-shelf GPS receivers, which could be less than
> $1000 to purchase a new (non-timing specific) commercial receiver, and
> still end up with improved accuracy, it seems simply to be progress.

I know in the case of my "day job" that the process of permitting
to change out the antenna on a roof of a commercial building, contracting
to get it done, running the cable down eleven floors, and modifying/requalifying
the system that uses the time (not just computers
but also a phone switch) can run circa $250K and literally
a year of meetings with everybody from the lawyers and neighborhood
association meetings (permit process) to procurement to software changes.

Pretty sad "day job", huh? :-). The rest of it is actually quite
enjoyable!

Tim.