[time-nuts] 5 MHZ PIC PPS Divider?

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 19:03:19 UTC 2008

Web articles on jitter:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/2744
http://www.pericom.com/pdf/applications/AB036.pdf
http://www.vectron.com/products/appnotes/jitter.htm
The last reference appears to have practical method to measure jitter in fig 5.

This is very detailed method but beyond my means:
http://www.cardinalxtal.com/docs/notes/jitter_paper.pdf

This may be closer but still expensive :
http://www.aubraux.com/dsp/jitter-software.php

Thinking out loud the adjustments of the GPS disciplined clocks such as Brooks Shera's has much of the same hardware, perhaps some modifications would allow jitter measurements from the ASCII status output ? Using the same device a PIC, to measure errors in PICs may not work. But perhaps a low cost way to measure the difference between the 10Mhz standard input and the PPS output and transferring this to a PC spreadsheet for analysis without the expensive test equipment ? I'm not thinking of using the exact same PIC to output the data of it's own, but a separate PIC to move the data to the PC. Also just the measurements needed not enough data to reproduce the whole waveform. The measuring PIC may need to buffer the Data to reduce the effects of slow speed transfer and any interaction of the transfer on the timing of the measurement.

What bothers me is actual measurment, quote from the cardinalxtal reference above :

"JITTER TESTING SET UP AND METHOD
Several factors must be considered when making jitter measurements.
• Use of a high performance, wide bandwidth oscilloscope with high-speed clock jitter analysis software.
• Maximize the number of measured values (greater than 25,000) for a peak-to-peak measured sigma at or near +/-4.
• Use an oscilloscope sampling rate of 8 GS/Second to capture multiple samples on the leading edge.
• Use a well-designed test fixture with proper clock load to preserve the cleanliness of the signal edges.
• The oscillator under test must use a low noise power source. It is recommended to use a 4.7 uF capacitor in parallel with a 0.01 uF capacitor on the power line next to the oscillator. "

In patricular the 25,000 samples and the 8GS/Second data rate, how to reduce this and still record useful data ?