[time-nuts] Interface boards for timing peripherals (was: 5 MHz 1 PPS...)

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Apr 16 00:43:10 UTC 2008

> Reflock II is not bad, but I am sure we could spin a board that work even
> better for  general time-nut nuttiness(*) without a lot of difficulty.

Has anyone tried out one of the Digilent Nexys-2 boards?

http://snurl.com/nexys2 (product page)
http://digilentinc.com/Data/Products/NEXYS/Nexys_rm.pdf (ref manual)

I don't see how they can make much money selling these for $99, when most
other vendors selling Spartan3E+Cypress FX2 dev boards (fpga4fun, Opal
Kelly, etc.) charge 3x as much for significantly less hardware.  Or, to
phrase it differently, I don't see how the other board vendors are competing
with Digilent.

This looks like a good platform for custom high-speed acquisition and timing
work, and they even give you a C library to program it.  You can move 20+
megabytes/second in and out of your PC with one of these puppies.

-- john, KE5FX