[time-nuts] 5 MHZ PIC PPS Divider?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 16 01:57:00 UTC 2008

Stanley Reynolds wrote:

> [...]
Stanley

That application note will give you an introduction to metastability.

A pair of multi GHz D flipflops should ensure that the probability of
metastability is less than once in a hundred years or longer.

Just make sure you wait long enough for both the ECL and the extension
counters to settle.

A better method is to read a very long counter on the fly (64 bits or
more) at the (synchronised) PPS edge. However with ripple counters this
gets tricky as one has to sample each bit at suitable times to ensure
that the sampled count is actually valid.

Software extension of the count chain (after the PIC counter) is also
possible.

I'd just interpolate a 10MHz clock: you can do this all with a PIC and
ADC and some inexpensive analog hardware.

Bruce