[time-nuts] Power monitoring

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Apr 17 18:42:02 UTC 2008

In message <20080417113454.pqo743vltwgwc8c8 at webmail.jpl.nasa.gov>, Jim Lux writ
es:

>> As long as I'm dreaming...  Suppose I wanted to measure the power my whole
>> house is drawing.  What's available along the lines of a current transformer
>> on the main lines?  My first thought is that nobody does that (for homes) so
>> it's probably horribly expensive.  On the other hand there is a lot of
>> interest in energy conservation these days so it might only be somewhat
>> expensive.
>
>Lots of these available, in the few hundred dollar range..

The best and likely cheapest solution is to get the data from your
utility meter.  Most meters have a "S0" output which sends a pulse
evern X Wh.

If you can't find it, ask your power-company for access.  Tell them
you want to monitor your energy conservation effort and they'll likely
not charge you for it.

If that fails, search google for "gasdims" :-)