[time-nuts] Robert G8RPI -- Odetics 325 PSU

Roy Phillips phill.r1 at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 20 08:31:37 UTC 2008

Glenn
Thanks for the very incisive "inside" perspective on SMPS - I would
certainly agree that the average SMPS unit is very much a 'budget' design,
but this one is rather well made, and provides a DC 'back up' facility, so
it would be nice to restore it. There is also the very real danger of
contact with the input stages , with the UK AC supply power at 240 volts,
this could be quite lethal. This particular item has both AC (90-240V) and
DC (20-60V) input switching stages, making it even more difficult to
unravel. I'm sure most engineers would rather bin a faulty unit than repair
it. Long live the 'good old' linear supply, perhaps I should build one, as
there is certainly space within the equipment.
Roy
-----