[time-nuts] Power supply for Thunderbolt

David C. Partridge david.partridge at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Apr 21 14:29:39 UTC 2008

Based on what's been said so far, I've ordered a Meanwell T-30B from Aibin
Guo.

Does this supply need dummy loads to ensure regulation, or does it manage OK
with just the load the Thunderbolt places on it?

The TB manual specifies:

+12v +/-10% max current 750 mA
+5v +/-5% max current 400 mA
-12v +/-10% max current 10 mA
Ripple
+5v 50 mV peak-to-peak, 15 mVrms
+/-12v 75 mV peak-to-peak, 20 mVrms

Looking at the T-30B datasheet, it suggests ripple/noise of around 20-25mV
p-p on all lines for an input between 210 and 250V.

This does seem to meet those specifications - that's pretty good for an
SMPS.   I'm used to them being pretty noisy brutes.

Many thanks to all
Dave