[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 00:34:04 UTC 2008

One more comment:

the GPS disciplining doesn't affect performance of parts to the 14th  short
term. GPS is used for long-term (>1000s or so) error correction, where  it can
achieve parts the 14th, but only after a day or much longer.

GPS is not good enough to give you more than parts to the 8th-9th timing
accuracy per second, which is already accuracy in the feet range. Parts to  the
14th short term would require accuracy in the 0.00001 foot range, not  possible.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/23/2008 16:36:32 Pacific Daylight Time, wa1zms at att.net
writes:

>With the Rubidium disciplined by the GPS,
>with its on-board  Rubidium/Cesium oscillators updated from the ground every
>orbit, you have  parts in the 14th, short term. In

I  have some Wenzel OCXOs that hit 5E-13 for a 1 second tau. No Rb or Cs
or  Z3801 that I have running get that good at 1 sec tau!  Over 10,000
is  a different matter, however.

-Brian,  WA1ZMS

listings at AOL Autos.