[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 06:20:53 UTC 2008

Hi Bruce,

last chemistry/physics class is a while back :) I guess a half life of 50
Billion years means it's not really radiating much?

No problem with Cesium then either, I guess the radiation levels must be
really really low?

thanks,
Said

In a message dated 4/23/2008 23:09:24 Pacific Daylight Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> by the  way, are Cesium and Rb isotopes used in these clocks  radioactive
> any degree? I remember on your website you mentioned that  Cesiums  have to
be
> shipped as hazardous  material..
>
> bye,
> Said

Said

Both Caesium and Rubidium are chemically  reactive alkali metals.

Cs133, Rb85  are all stable  isotopes

Rb87 decays via beta emission with a half life of about 5E10  years.

Bruce