[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

wa1zms at att.net wa1zms at att.net
Thu Apr 24 13:29:37 UTC 2008

In talking to Charles Wenzel some years back, he mentioned what he called
the "quartz-to-crud" ratio.  i.e.: How much contamination you get while
making
a quartz crystal vs. the Q of the quartz blank itself.

It seems that through either luck/design or just demands of the industry
that
5MHz is the sweet spot for lowest close-in phase noise of an XO.

Other technologies may very well change that in future, but for best
close-in noise a 5MHz XO seems to be the best today.

-Brian, WA1ZMS