[time-nuts] How do you minimise jitter?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 06:37:18 UTC 2008

Hello Don,

close-in phase noise within the PLL loop filter bandwidth in Synthesized
Signal Generators is a quality of the components used (among others), and  the
optimization of the design.

For an output that is generated directly by the Oscillator (not a  divider
chain, DDS etc) three main noise sources are present:

Within the loop bandwidth of the PLL:

1) the phase noise of the reference (for example DDS output, crystal
oscillator output, etc).  The output generally cannot be better than
20log(Fout/Fref)+NoiseFloorFref for example.

2) The PLL chip used. For example the same circuitry using an ADF4153 (ADI)
PLL versus an LMX2316 (N.S) has in our products generated much  less close-in
phase noise with the ADI chip (more than 10dB difference),  all else being
identical. Both chips are footprint compatible.

For frequencies outside the loop bandwidth:

3) noise of the oscillator

For example, high-end synthesizers will use wideband YIG oscillators with
extremely low phase noise. This allows the loop bandwidth to be much smaller
than using a VCO, so their noise level is significantly less than VCO based
products.

One drawback: prices of YIGS can be $500, $1000, or even much more for this
reason, and for their greater than octave performance and level stability etc.
A  typical VCO will cost only <$50.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/27/2008 21:32:24 Pacific Daylight Time,
df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de writes:

>  I`ve been puzzling over the reasons why one synthesised
> signal  generator produces more close-in noise than another,

listings at AOL Autos.