[time-nuts] Phase noise & Jitter

Henk ten Pierick henk at deriesp.demon.nl
Mon Apr 28 17:20:17 UTC 2008

Hi Don,

Any comparator or slicer has a noise density and a noise bandwidth.
The noise value of this slicer is the integral of the noise density
over the noise bandwidth. The noise bandwidth is the slicer
bandwidth, not the slicer frequency. Due to the slope, thus the slew
rate, of the input signal the input noise is converted to jitter.
For digital circuits, the input noise is dependent of the design and
the process. Logic has about 3dB psrr thus the noise on the supply
should be low as well. Jitter in logic also depends on product brand.
Lowest jitter is obtained if there are no other functions in the
package. Thus requires sometimes re-clocking of the logic output with
a separate d-ff.

Henk