[time-nuts] Zeta Labs X76 Multiplier 7600 MHz Output Model 5856-01

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Apr 28 23:15:18 UTC 2008

I worked for Zeta Labs many years ago.  This multiplier
undoubtedly has a step recovery diode that is being driven
at a level of a good watt or two.  In most cases there was
a hefty transistor to make this power.  You probably need
+10 dBm or so to drive it, maybe as much as +20 dBm.  Take
the cover off and look at the input section and it should
be apparent if there is any additional gain.  You can always
start at 0 dBm and work up, looking at the power out as you
go along.  The adjustment of these can be very tricky, so
proceed with extreme caution.  Especially the SRD assembly.
There were rows and rows of technicians with sweepers who
tuned these up.  The sweepers would sweep typically 80 to
120 MHz.  Some of the techs liked to listen to the radio
as they worked, and since this frequency range encompased
the FM band, the radio would make a woodpecker like sound
all day long.

The Zeta multipliers were fairly similar to the multiplier
in the well known "brick" frequency sources (California
Microwave, etc).  Many people worked at both companies at
various times.

Rick Karlquist N6RK