[time-nuts] LED reliability

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 30 16:56:55 UTC 2008

> LEDs been viable since at least the early 70's?  Talk about planned
> obsolescence...

How reliable were the early LEDs?  When did they start to get used in high
reliability applications?

I remember getting a rack of memory for a PDP-10 that used LEDs because the
normal lights burned out all the time. That was back in the early 80s when
real computers had lots of lights.  I think LEDs were pretty new then.  (at
least new to me)

The best reliability story I heard (many years ago) was about installing
another trans-Atlantic telephone cable.  They used tubes long after
transistors were out.  They knew how long the tubes would last.  They didn't
have much data on transistors yet.