[time-nuts] Power supply for Thunderbolt

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:28:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Peter Vince <pvince at theiet.org> wrote:

>>It may be possible to stack 3 low ESR super capacitors in series
>>(maximum voltage rating is around 2v -2.5V those with higher ratings are
>>actually series connected stacks) to do this but this is a relatively
>>expensive proposition.

> Presumably you would need parallel resistors to ensure an even
> voltage split?  And if so, are we talking about kilohms or megohms?

Current is probably to low for this application, but it is worth noting:

LTC3225 - 150mA Supercapacitor Charger

Features

    * Low Noise Constant Frequency Charging of Two Series Supercapacitors
    * Automatic Cell Balancing Prevents Capacitor Overvoltage During Charging
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1098,P84365
The part has been tested up to 400 Farads.

Anyone ever look at using the LT1533 - Ultralow Noise 1A Switching Regulator
as the basis of a power supply design?
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,P1126

--
http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/