[time-nuts] Power supply for Thunderbolt

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Aug 7 13:21:25 UTC 2008

>  It would be interesting to see how the 'red panel' Thunderbolts (the
> packaged type that run from an included switching supply fed from 24
> VDC) perform under a test regime such as that TVB used to compare
> various three rail power supplies.  In 'distant past' posts, maybe 18
> months back, it was suggested that this supply is a particularly good
> performer, but IIRC no data was supplied to support this statement.
> Anyone able to oblige?

This (cluttered) graph is indicative of the results I've seen.  The Lucent
supply used in the older red-and-black labelled Thunderbolts was not very
clean, and its proximity and orientation adjacent to the Thunderbolt's PCB
didn't help.

Red = the new ("TAPR") Thunderbolt with my old Thunderbolt's Lucent supply
Blue = the old Thunderbolt with its Lucent supply
Orange = the new Thunderbolt with the supply Tom chose
Purple = the old Thunderbolt with Tom's supply

The reference for the red trace was somewhat noisier below 100 Hz than the
one used for the others.  You should assume that the red trace coincides
with the orange one below 100 Hz.

-- john, KE5FX