[time-nuts] GPS shielding by power lines?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 11:52:55 UTC 2008

Alan,

I don't believe you have said what type of antenna you are using. If you are
using a true timing antenna (Symmetricom, Trimble Bullet) I would expect
little or no direct effect from the power lines, but if you are using a puck
or other inexpensive commercial antenna (which have little or no filtering
or shielding), you may well be affected directly by the field from the power
line on the antenna itself. The Thunderbolt itself should have enough
filtering to protect you from a direct effect, the Thunderbolt has been
designed to be co-located with other equipment, particularly cell
transmitters, so I would expect it to be fairly immune to stray fields.

Didier KO4BB