[time-nuts] Designing and building an OCXO and GPSDO

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Aug 11 07:11:08 UTC 2008

Phil,

Good on ya. When I have the time, I'll try going back to first
principles.

I've spent 40 years working with PID controllers and their sensors and
actuators.

Rule of thumb: If the transport delay (dead time between changing the
heater and sensing the change) is 10% of the system time constant, you
have to reduce the PID gain by about half to maintain stability (of the
phase margin in a feedback loop).

In your case, do NOT mount the sensor on the crystal. Mount it halfway
between your heaters and expect the copper plate to come to a
steady-state temperature inside the insulated cavity. Do not mount it
with any form of insulating adhesive which will increase the delay.
Maybe hold it down with a copper strip, like the crystal.

As Bruce Griffiths suggests, use an analog sensor and a resistance
bridge. Then the null signal can be digitized with low accuracy
requirements, compared to digitizing the temperature to 10E-9. Mount the
analog stuff in the controlled enclosure. Use fixed resistors to balance
the bridge at 50C so there are no adjustments in the oven. Plan on
putting the oscillator in there, too.

Never mind being dead on 50C because where you want to be is on a flat
spot on the temperature curve, so maybe you don't have to hold 10E-9.
Your digital PID is looking at the digitized bridge error as its
measurement. A setpoint can vary that error to find the flat spot. Don't
forget that components and solder joints age at 50C, so plan on making
adjustments once a week until the frequency stabilizes.

The accuracy of the sensor is not important. What you want is precision
and stability. You want the highest gain you can get in the PID, which
means doing the stuff for delay as well as determining the time constant
of your oven at 50C so you can set the integral term.

Bill Hawkins