[time-nuts] Designing and building an OCXO and GPSDO

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Aug 13 23:57:16 UTC 2008

If you don't want pushbutton convenience, you can measure the close-in phase
noise with not much more than a $5 mixer and $2 opamp.  It will take a lot
of "sweat equity," and you will need to build two of whatever you're
measuring, or buy/borrow a known-cleaner source at the same frequency.

TSC analyzers are great but they are not the only way to go.  Actually their
biggest advantages lie in their size/weight and the fact that the reference
doesn't have to be at the same frequency as the DUT.  Other than that, their
performance is not necessarily better than a homebrew single-mixer
quadrature PLL or an 11848A.

-- john, KE5FX

and follow the  instructions there.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.