[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 14 23:44:50 UTC 2008

Robert Vassar wrote:

> Good grief!  That's not a microcontroller!  :-)
>

> I like the MCS-51 family, but they're kind of goofy to program in C,
> and 8-bit.  Upside, lots of vendors & variants, including the really
> nice SiLabs mixed signal chips made here in Austin.  AVR is much
> nicer to code in C, and has great tool support, but they're single
> source, and I have read that Atmel is not always completely
> forthcoming in their errata.
>

> Arm... If you need something that can run Linux.... But why not just
> go for a Soekris board at that point?  :-)
>

> Rob
> KC6OOM/5

You can do substantially better by using a suitable FPGA board.
One can create a hardware timestamp counter with multiple capture
registers that wont wrap around in less than a week or more together
with whatever simple processors required for decoding GPS receiver data.
A simple 16 x2 character LCD display or similar is easily added for
field readout. Keyboards and pushbuttons together with serial ports USB
ports etc are often provided so communications with A PC for data
retrieval /storage is readily possible.

Bruce