[time-nuts] Designing and building an OCXO and GPSDO

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 15 02:05:42 UTC 2008

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Luis Cupido wrote:
>
>> Bruce, tks for your reply.
>>
>>  > The latest spectrum analyser offerings from Agilent have similar phase
>>  > noise floors for both the millimeter wave and low frequency spectrum
>>  > analysers.
>>
>> Yes, but kind of puzzles me a bit since I would
>> be expecting phase noises more than 10x worst on a
>> SA covering DC to 1GHz (+/-)
>> (since the LO for this is an YIG oscillator circa 3GHz locked to a
>> reference)
>> comparing with an FFT analyzer that uses a few tens MHz sample rate.
>>
>> Assuming similar 10MHz reference oscillator the SA
>> gets it multiplied by 300 while a low freq SA (preferably FFT)
>> gets it multiplied by 10 maximum.
>> How can they claim similar performance ?!
>> ---
>>
>> Ok on the rest, tks.
>>

>> Luis Cupido.

Luis

The R+S FMU36 has a phase noise floor of around -143dBc/Hz (offset >
10kHz) with a 10MHz input.
Whereas the R+S FSU67 has a phase noise floor of around -133dBcdBc/Hz
(offset = 10kHz) with a 640Mhz input.

There is a definite improvement at lower frequencies but not quite as
much as one might have expected.

Bruce